when satan steals your motherhood.

Processed with VSCOcam with c1 preset

It is there, and it creeps up like a silent killer. Maybe it is the wet underwear that you found floating in the hallway bathroom. Or the cat food that has been flung out on the floor like tiny marbles waiting to trip up a passerby. Or the loud thumping and yelling and tantruming as if we live in some sort of primal age where roaring and beating your chest were the only way to get other’s attention.

And all of that madness and anger? It wasn’t the kids. It was me.  The mother. The one who left a pair of Superman undies in a bathroom we rarely use for days, fed the cat without my glasses after someone else forgot, and the loud, obnoxious, downright scary human being I can be when I have just had more than I can handle.

That’s the kind of thing that happens when you allow satan to steal your motherhood.

No, it’s not the mistakes. It’s not the forgetfulness. It is what happens on the inside that no one else sees. And he knows just how to get to you.

He admires you, you know. But only when you yell at your kids, complain about tasks that need to be done regardless of how many people are in your home. He loves it when you wish you were the mom with the skinny jeans and tall boots and shiny hair with the perfectly groomed kids at the mall play area. You look at her and think you are sub-par. Satan loves that.

Satan also loves it when you get scared because someone posted a random video online of how their four year old can read, so you freak out that YOUR four year old is more interested in roaming outdoors and  playing with bobby pins and giving them names, so you panic because books are the last thing on her mind. Satan is clapping now.

Processed with VSCOcam with f2 preset

Satan also adores you when you get on the phone and ignore your kids, when you hide your true feelings and dreams and frustrations with your husband with a weak “I’m fine”, and when you feel like this fun birthday party at the park for your children isn’t “the best” compared to someone else’s insanely expensive Pinterest celebration.

Because I might as well have left the front door unlocked and allowed a thief to come right in my home yesterday. I mean, why not? I let satan in. After all the fussing and nagging and utter bone tired exhaustion, I crawled into bed with my three year old for a moment. Just to apologize.

“I am so sorry today was so rough”

“I didn’t think it was rough. I thought it was fun!”

“Really? Which part was fun?”

“The part where we played on the couch like we were on a boat. Where we ‘fished’ with your belt as a fishing line, and used the couch pillows for life boats”.

Tears started rolling down my cheeks.

“Please pray for me. That I can be a better Mommy”.

“Oh, I did! Earlier today. When it was sunny. Right before we played the boat game”.

Processed with VSCOcam with f2 preset

Today I’m locking the door tight to whatever evil enters my heart and home.

Today I am going to remember the One who GIVES LIFE and knows I am a mess and LOVES ME ANYWAY.

I washed the undies. The cat took care of the food. That four year old is now six and can read like a champ. But she still names random things. And it’s cool that my hair is “shiny” because it is unwashed and I can’t wear tall boots because they make me taller than the guy that loves me to the moon and back.

Roll those cars down a ramp, read one more princess story, forget how “busy” you think you are and what the world thinks you should accomplish in a 24 hour period and for heaven’s sake, LOG OFF OF PINTEREST.

bowling

Take your kids and an old, worn blanket, reheat that coffee and hold them tight and just rest at the feet of Jesus for a moment.

Today? It is going to be okay. Take back your motherhood. It is a gift. Listen to the life-giver, NOT the liar.

The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. {John 10:10}

(want to hear a podcast where I explain my heart on this post? click {here})

Comments

• 3

says

How I wish I COULD Have those days back. Now we are alone and have time and now we can’t do it. Oh God let our young mom see these days go by so far and you missed so many wonder moment you could have with you children. instead of worry about how your house look like or you need 100 pairs of shoes so you go of to work and leave you kid with a stranger to have the fun.Stay home from work for a few years and wear the same clothes for 5 years.not one day and enjoy your little one that God gave you.

• 4

MJ says

Well said! We scrimp to get by, BUT we somehow make it. I wouldn’t trade it for anything. :) It’s hard when you see others dumping thousands into their 401k, while we dump oil into the car, but we’re raising these babies to be all God intended them to be, and that takes sacrifice. I’ll gladly sacrifice for them.

• 5

says

I stayed home until my youngest daughter was 4, then I went to work. I regret it to this day going to work. My kids needed me and I was not there. Stay home with your kids moms! It is more important than fancy cars and fancy clothes and a fancy house.

• 8

cena says

if you read the part where the writer says we “allow” satan into our lives and “let him in our back door” i know these are not direct quotes, but it was the general message. it’s not blaming satan as much as pointing out he is there enjoying himself as he watches you mess up. the enemy can places thoughts in our head and it’s up to us whether we fester on it or debunk it with the truth God left us to find in the Bible. so i don’t believe this article is blaming satan for where we can fall short as moms but where we as moms allow satan the opportunity to applaud these short-comings. we are only human tho and thankfully God knows this and when we DO take accountability, only then can we rise above satans brainwashing and do what’s right for our family and ourselves :)

• 9

Barb H says

Ashlie, you’re absolutely right about accountability…

Accountability, yes. Shame and accusation, no. We will screw up – often when we have young kids. It’s the voice we listen to afterwards that the writer is talking about.

Accountability says, “I screwed up. What’s my responsibility? Who do I have to apologize to? How can I fix this and hopefully keep it from happening again?”

Shame and accusation says, “I screwed up, because I am a screw-up, and basically worthless, and I probably shouldn’t even bother, and no one would love me if they knew what a worthless screw-up I am.”…and leads to despair, depression, anger, etc.

Satan is the king of shame and accusation. Shut him out and shut him up!!

I love sofa fishing :)

1. 10

says

Oh, you got me right in the heart with that one. So well said. Perfect timing, needed that truth more than anything as I pick my head up for a new day. This is one of your best posts. and I will read it again and again. Thank you:)
    aubrey barela recently posted…It’s ok.My Profile

2. 12

says

This is a great post! I can definitely see Satan trying to knock down the door a lot of days. I think being a mama is such an overwhelming experience, and sometimes it is really easy to just go through the motions. I am trying to concentrate on some self care this year – something I always thought was too selfish for a mama to do, but realizing now that I need that me-time in order to be a functioning and happy parent, and person in general!
    Heather recently posted…reinstating quiet timeMy Profile

• 13

christie elkins says

Amen sister. I am as well in a season of taking advantage of date nights and play dates and sleepovers with the grandparents. Mama needs to love and take care of herself to take care of her littles!

3. 14

says

Wow Christie, powerful post! Thank you so much!!!! You’re talking exactly about my heart and life here… Thank god for his grace and mercy though I can rage and neglect because other things seem more important

4. 18

Bridgette says

Thank you so much for this post today.
    Somedays I really struggle with this somedays.
    You are an amazing, wonderful, and caring person. Thank you for being there when I need a great friend

• 19

christie elkins says

I love how we are able to chat all the time and keep up with each other even when we are states apart! We miss you guys!

5. 20

Sarah says

Oh, yes. This one will be on repeat. So good, Christie! I often need a reminder that there is an enemy.

So sweet that he prayed for you. You are a great mama! Bless his heart!

• 21

christie elkins says

Bless HIS heart for having to pray for his ol’ worn out mama! ;) I always get super excited when you stop by and leave sweet comments!

6. 22

Mama says

Great post!! I am locking my doors tonight (again…) and am starting the day fresh tomorrow.

I gave up the heels and boots for flats – that way my Mr will not be taller then me too ;) I also fall less when caring children so there is a plus!

7. 25

Melissa Ciba says

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!!! As I was reading this post I kept thinking about one particular instance when Satan snuck in my house, blindsided me, and turned me into his weapon before I even knew what hit me! The look in my child’s eyes was horrifying. Thank GOD for his grace and forgiveness!

8. 29

Teresa Bailey says

I am a grandmother of 3 little boys and 1 little granddaughter on the way. This is a very good perspective and more mothers need to read this….each day is the one God gives…embrace every one and make the most of it. Be intentional in a healthy way about all you do for your family, friends, and strangers. :)

9. 31

Sonja Lowry says

I SO needed this today! This is the first snow day we have had in – ever- and I was tempted to let my hubby take the kids out for fun while I stayed inside and cleaned house. NO WAY! I’m going to make memories with my kiddos! Because my house will never love me back…

10. 33

Janie says

Oh yes! I can totally relate! I am starting to learn that when I am most frustrated at them running around like crazy people, the best thing I can do is ask them for a cuddle and a prayer with me. They never turn it down. Now if I could just learn to love sitting in my Father’s lap like that!

11. 35

Laura says

SOOOOO happy to find this blog! I am not a momma YET, but I’m near East Tennessee and I’m a law enforcement wife, too! Even non-mommas can take heed to what you wrote about, satan loves to steal anything we will let him. During bible study tonight, we talked about things that are permissible in our lives, but not beneficial for us. If we can learn to deny ourselves from those things, then we will be better able to deny ourselves towards non-permissible things and prevent satan from stealing. Looking forward to catching up on your past posts!

12. 39

says

Thanks Christie. This has come at a great time for a lot of people. For some reason it seems like this is the season of satan entering our homes and hearts and trying to demolish all the good-natured-new-years-mommy-resolutions we had a few weeks ago.
    You are so right. We belong to the ONE who has CALLED us to be these mommies, and HE will equip us and help us handle the uber emotional and stressful days. I need to turn to my kids more in apology for the monster I become (especially in the early morning and late nights). They love me so well even when I feel like I am not the most patient and loving with them. Lord help me be humble enough to allow my two year old to forgive me and pray for me. She will if I ask.
    {It is good to read this today, but I wish I would have read it yesterday in the center or my “I’m-pregnant-scared-to-death-to-have-a-third-and-way-too-exhausted-to-’mommy’-meltdown-day”! All is better now. Talks with the husband and the Lord have been had and my heart is content.}

13. 47

Debbie Fredericks says

A friend posted this article on FB…I don’t normally take time to read all the posts and blogs people put…but I read yours today…brought tears to my eyes and was much needed. I reposted with a comment to lock the door to Satan today! I perused through your site and enjoyed other articles. Do you have a FB page to like? Thank you for using your gift of writing for The Lord. Have a blessed day!

• 48

says

Debbie, thank you SO much! I know what you mean about FB and reading things on it, so I am thankful you took the plunge and gave this one a chance! I have a personal FB page you are welcome to follow! You can click on the social media button at the top of this page and it’ll take you right to it. Thanks!
      christie elkins recently posted…cell phone friday, volume twentyMy Profile

14. 51

says

Loved this!! Reminds me of C.S. Lewis’ Screwtape Letters, I can hear the conversations now… Thanks!! You have a new reader!! Find me at heatherduncanwrites.com Cannot wait to read more!

15. 53

Kristy Elkins Brooks says

That was absolutely wonderfully put. It made me realize that sometimes I just need to stop & breathe. I’m definately gong to try to think more like u instead of letting things get to me. Thank u for ur honesty & for sharing. Being a mother (& a wife) is an extremely overwhelming job. Ur absolutely right though, it is a blessing…a GIFT & its the BEST gift I’ve ever received. I should be more thankful for it, even on the worst days! Thanks again.

16. 55

Rhyannon says

Oh…Thank you for this. We are in the middle of a huge transition, and both my little girls (2 years and 5 months) are feeling it, which means Mama is feeling overwhelmed, tired, cranky. So tonight I will go in to bed where two little girls are already sleeping (which is normally a big no no in our house) and just breathe them in and remember what a precious gift God has given.

17. 59

says

Satan must be using the same tricks on all of us…I’ve been working on a post myself about the pressure of perfection…where does it come from? Until I read your post I wasn’t quite sure…but it’s from satan. We can never be Pinterest perfect in all areas of life, we are just trying to be the best mamas we can be and we have to remember it’s not a competition, we need to uplift other mamas trying to raise littles too. Thank you for this post…needed it.

18. 61

autumn says

Thank you so much. I am in tears as this post describes me to a “t”. I needed this in a bad way. So thankful you took the time to do this.!

19. 63

Amy says

Yes, we have an enemy, but he is defeated and his defeat isn’t dependent on us. He really doesn’t want us to remember he is a beaten enemy. You are awesome to recognize his efforts to distract you so quickly, and to share it here with your friends. But even when WE forget, the cross is still powerful and operating on our behalf. Blessings!

20. 65

Labaysha Salvato says

Just want to say….when I read this…I truly knew it was for me….it spoke si deeply to my heart. Definitely a message that changes you forever…..

21. 67

says

Beautiful post. Thank you for the reminder. I’m a new mommy and these words resonated so strongly as I deal with no sleep, constant nursing and humongous expectations on myself. God bless you!

22. 72

Charlene says

Good article for sure, whenever we have a hard time (my kids and I) we start reading scriptures together. Because no unclean thing can reside, where God does. It makes a huge difference in our home. I’m a single mother of 6 kids, I work full time away from home and in the home. I know without our Heavenly Father, we would be lost and ripe for the taking. Thanks for the reminder to be the beacon of light in the home.

23. 74

RL says

Thank you for this article. I almost started to cry b/c I got upset with my youngest today and yesterday! When I asked him to forgive me he said I forgive you and gave me the tightest squeeze ever:) Thank God, that my children are so forgiving and I am so thankful HE is so forgiving.

• 75

christie elkins says

I agree! It makes my heart swell when they are so willing to forgive and love. I have SO much to learn from my children!

24. 76

Kathy says

Saw your post on Facebook from one of my daughter’s friends … I didn’t think it would have anything that pertained to be but I was so wrong … I so needed to read this … not because Satan was stealing my motherhood … I have graduated from that time in my life (although not completely … you never stop being a Mom no matter how old the kids get) but what Satan steals from me is my wifehood (if there is such a word) … I am now as much a parent to my retired husband who has no outside activities or hobbies and sits for hours watching TV … He is going thru a minor (and I mean minor compared to what it could be at 69 yrs. of age) health situation this week and has the personality and attitude of Eeyore … and I have had my melt down the past few days as you described with your kids. I just did not handle any of this well … Not a pretty sight. Feeling like a failure comes at any age and time in life. But thankfully we have God who forgives and scoops us up into his arms and gives us another chance … Thank you for the encouragement and the reminder … I so needed this.

“Today? It is going to be okay. Take back your “wifehood”. It is a gift. Listen to the life-giver, NOT the liar.”

• 77

christie elkins says

Amen! The enemy can creep in no matter what life stage we are in. Prayers for you and your husband today!

25. 78

Amanda Beth says

I was really feeling down today. Lately I’ve felt like all I have time to do is yell at my 6yr old twins and change my almost-2yr-old’s diapers. I’ve felt like there is something wrong with me, and that I am becoming a terrifying mother. All of my fears were addressed in this post and it just really encouraged me. A couple of days ago I literally crawled in bed with my girls and cried over them for forgiveness while they slept. I’m going to start taking back my days, and praying for strength over what satan wants for my life. Thank you again. I can’t tell you enough what this post meant to me.

• 79

christie elkins says

Friend, I feel you. And sometimes taking a deep breath and praying and admitting we are in need of the Lord is what helps me the most!

26. 80

says

Hey – I LOVE this. Thank you for writing it. A friend shared it with me, and I’d like to share it with another bunch of women. I’m in charge of posting for our local (Sheridan, WY) MOPS group and I think this article would be a perfect addition to our blog. May I have permission to reprint it there? I would, of course, include all of your info as well as links back to this original post. Thanks for the consideration. And, thanks for the reminder today to take back my motherhood!

• 81

christie elkins says

Thank YOU for considering this post as part of your publication! Feel free to share it, and thanks for linking back to me! MOPS sounds so fun!

27. 87

Jessica young says

I loved this!! So powerful and this touched me Im a mom of two kids and they are my world and I for get sometimes that satan is trying to steel my motherhood! I pray every night to be a better mom and wife thank you so much for these wonderful stories:)

28. 91

Laura says

This brought tears to my eyes. It DOES creep up on you. The unhappiness and feeling overwhelmed and trapped. So you try to escape your kids and family rather than enjoying them. It is such a lie of satan that things should be perfect all the time. It isn’t life. Thank you for reminding me of this :)

• 92

christie elkins says

I love how you mentioned that life isn’t perfect all the time. Isn’t that what the world wants us to believe? That others have it all together? Sheesh. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your wisdom!

• 94

christie elkins says

Haha! No, neither do I. But, I think most social media outlets cause us to compare ourselves to others at times, which makes things hard!

29. 97

says

I loved this! It was exactly what I needed to read. I find myself comparing myself to everything around me, including tv. I have to constantly remind myself that the spotless houses on tv are sets, not real, lived in houses. That resonated with me the most in this article, because that is where Satan steals my motherhood most. Thank you :)
    Karisa recently posted…EternalMy Profile

30. 103

mandi says

Thank you Christine!! I have a 15mo little girl. And just this morning I was tell my husband what a failure of a mom ive been. I work from home in the morning, then its nap time, lunch, and then dad gets home. By that time im tired and exhausted. I feel like I cant give her everything she needs. As my husband ( getting ready to leave for work this morning) hears my girl calling, becuase she just woke, runs to the bed room and says “momma needs a big hug today” when he walks out of the bedroom she looks at me smiles and says “ah ma ma” (hi momma) and runs to me. I didnt feel wothry of that hug. My hubby just sent me this link. After ready this, I cant wait to have her wake up from her nap. Im going to stop packing (and typing) and im going to cuddle with her. Im going to lay with her until she wakes up. Im going to order pizza tonight and have a picnic outside.
    Tomorrow she will be another day older and I wont get today back. Thank you!!!

31. 107

Sam says

I noticed your post shared on a frineds Facebook, decided take a look… I have to say I LOVED this article and have LOVED everything on this blog that I have read thus far! It is too easy to get carried away with trying to make thing perfect around the house for my family, when really, the perfect thing to them is having fun and spending time… messy house or not! Thanks for the post and I look forward to keeping up with you!!!

-Sam Brown
    Spangdahlem, Germany

32. 109

says

It brought back so many memories of long age ago when my kids were little. I am 78 yrs old ,but you never quit being a mommie . I think I worry more about my kids after they left home , and I was not there to protect them. I just have to turn them over to God and let him handle things sometimes it is hard to not grab it back . Our timing is not the same as the lords but I trust him with all my heart.and know his way is the best.. I sometimes think we forget about satan, but he is very real. Anyway i just wanted you to know how your post lifted my heart and how glad i stopped to read it THANKS JO PALMER

33. 111

Monika says

I love it! Definitely something we all need to be reminded of from time to time. My temptation is giving all my attention to the computer instead of my children :(. Right now I’m on the laptop in bed after I’ve gotten the youngest to sleep and I don’t want to go back down and get the other two started on their homework and figure out dinner and and and.

It took me 8 years of marriage to realize it was society telling me that I shouldn’t wear heels that make me tower over my husband and that he really didn’t mind…in fact he kind of acts like he’s one of those guys dating a supermodel (although I don’t feel like I fit the part :-p)…so my recommendation is to talk with your guy and really listen before banishing an entire style of shoe. (On the flip side, I’ve found that if I’m sitting at the mall play area in my slip on shoes and sweatshirt I’m much more easy going and patient with my kids and when I’m there feeling all put together in heeled boots and a shirt that I really don’t want chocolaty faces smudging I am constantly fighting against being impatient and frustrated if my kids aren’t behaving perfectly. I think I tap my foot impatiently in those boots more than all my other shoes and I probably only wear them a dozen times a year.)

34. 113

says

it doesn’t matter, either, if your kids are 2 and 4, or 42 and 44. You still feel like you are a bad mother, or a failure, some days. You say the wrong thing, do the wrong thing, forget a birthday (yes, that happens) and you become the most worthless mother ever…IF you let it. I’m not saying I always don’t let it, but on those days that I do, I try to remember the many many good days when I was mother of the year, or mother of the minute.
    Karen recently posted…The Party Of The Year: Parkers First BirthdayMy Profile

35. 117

Ryan says

Hi! I’m not a mom yet, but my moments do get stolen just the same – from being the best, in-the-moment wife I can be or student or whatever else it is that I should be enjoying and appreciating.

36. 119

says

I found your post, blessedly, through a post from a friend on Facebook. I use FB and other social media for work and it can definitely be not only a time vacuum, but a heart-bruiser. Thank you, thank you, thank you for the reminder I needed. God sends his messages in the craziest and most effective ways. Thank you.

37. 121

says

I love this post. Such hard truth’s, I am 100% guilty of all of those thought’s. I definitely needed to read this. I stumbled across this blog via a facebook share from a friend, and I am now signed on for the long haul. You are a great writer, put thing’s and feelings into words so well. I admire you’re candidacy….. If that’s even how you say it…hahah =)

38. 123

says

Wow so glad I found this site, I am a 51yrs old with 2 grown kids and 5 grand children! I truly love the lord, and so glad that I can learn from this and pass it on to my children and friends! I lived so long with the quilt of being a bad mom,, but asked their forgiveness and I know God has forgiven me,, they are the joy of my life and I am blessed that they believe and pray and know Jesus!

39. 125

Melinda says

Oh WOW is all I can say, you have hit the nail on the head! It’s amazing how you told MY story without even knowing me, it just goes to show that we are not alone in our journey, we have The Lord & each other, we are going through the same struggles. This was the perfect article for me this morning (and probably every morning). Bless you for sharing.
    Melinda

40. 129

says

Thank you so much for putting this in words. I was in tears, and completely convicted! The Devil loves us to fall, and we need Gods loving hand to help us overcome. Thank you!

41. 131

says

Beautiful post. Thanks so much for sharing your talents with the world…This is the first time I have read your blog but I am adding you to my reader. From one post I believe your talents to be selflessness, godliness, and a loving carefree heart. Can’t wait to read more.

42. 133

says

What a wonderful post. You must go to the same mall as I do – where the shiny hair mom in the tall boots hangs out. Seriously, what a great reminder of our divine worth. Thanks.
    Jenny recently posted…To doneMy Profile

43. 135

Melody says

I stumbled across your blog, after I had been praying this morning to really face today with a new attitude. My time feels gobbled up in all the unimportant, trivial things day-to-day. I don’t like the reality I face, and yet my little one pays the price for it. Thank you Holy Spirit for working through a sister in Christ to speak and claim the truth. I so needed this. And my 4 year old makes bobby pins come to life too. (:

44. 137

says

Saw this shared n Facebook by a friend this morning and took the time to read it because I felt I needed to and boy did I! I think I will be printing it out to read again. I especially needed this today with my 7 year old home sick from school and my 4 year old still sick…and the almost 12 year old doing his preteen attitude act some. This morning…I felt the tension starting…now I need to figure out how to decrease it.
    Than you for sharing your thoughts

45. 139

Dawn says

It’s been a long time since we fished from the couch. My 3 boys are all teens now and I can promise you that what you are saying is true. There will still be days that make you crazy, that won’t change, but you can take a deep breath and enjoy the moment – they really do slip away!!!

Ps. I promise no one cares if you have breakfast dishes on the counter or hot wheels under your couch except you! Leave them there and go play!

46. 145

says

Thank you for sharing this post. I often find myself letting Satan rob me of the many joys of motherhood because of my own selfishness. Be encouraged to know that you are not alone and I, too, have spent many a nights in my kid’s beds asking them for forgiveness and prayer! Thanks, again, for such an encouraging and challenging post!

47. 155

says

You have a gift with words!

One thing I want to put into perspective just for myself is that satan only has as much power as we allow him to have. The darkness cannot tempt us unless we let it seep into our minds and hearts. Only then is there rejoicing by evil! Although satan my try to tempt us, we have the ultimate control and he is envious of that! So when you feel like you are being tempted just remember I have something he’ll never have, say a prayer or two, rely on the Savior, and remind yourself that you are better then him! If you make a mistake, dust yourself off, get back up, use the atonement, and do better the next time!

xox

48. 158

says

Beautifully written, great food for thought. Thanks for making me feel normal and inspiring me to be a better mom. The adversary is alive and well, but he won’t win! My heart belongs to God.
    Dawn recently posted…Counting SacrificesMy Profile

49. 159

Brook says

I love your post and dont disagree with it all. I did come across from it mother who posted it who gets upset with her children but I actually think her kids walk all over her.
    She thinks its her job to be calm and collective while her kids treat her like a maid or a servant. They even boss her around.
    Her children have even tried bossing me around when I was there and when I said “Excuse me?! Who do you think you are talking to like that?”
    His mouth actually fell open.
    I am concerned because she says she needs to read this everyday and I would too with her kids. However I also believe in righteous anger and letting your children know why you are upset so they can be more like Christ.
    I really think the mom who I found the link from really needs to know the difference or when righteous anger is justified or what it is. If you believe its not when it comes to kids some parenting advice I could use the next time I babysit my friends kids. Some reactions or discipline methods allowed.
    Thanks

50. 160

Amanda says

I am reading this and tears are pouring down my face. We are in the middle of a 6 month potty training regression that feels like it is never going to end. Add to the mix a 2 year old who is up before 6 AM lately, kids fighting, yelling at each other, the house being in utter chaos I just want to sit and bawl and whisper, “I hate this!” I really needed to read this today, thank you so much..

51. 161

Belinda says

My 4 kids are all grown up now, and I’m an empty nester. It is no fun at all. My heart aches with sadness every day because I miss motherhood so very much. I cried when I read your post; it brought back so many precious memories.

• 162

Yvonne says

Me too!!! I want a do-over!! But with my (current) husband, not the father of my 4 boys. They have turned out great anyway, but Satan keeps whispering about how I have let them down. Thank you for the beautiful writing. Where were you 25 years ago? ;-)

52. 163

Natasha says

Thanks much for bearing your heart!! I am right there with ya! Please help us God to be mothers that are “God” to our children!!

53. 166

Julia says

I loved this post. Thank you so much! My kids are a bit older, but what you shared still resonates deeply. Recently (for all those Catholic Moms) I was advised to say the “St. Michael The Archangel” prayer when I am feeling frustrated. I was skeptical at first, but after I saw it WORKING, I find my self uttering this prayer ‘here and there’ many times a week.—- ok you got me….., many times a day! ;-) Defend us in battle St. Michael!

54. 167

Jackie says

Loved this! Especially the underwear part, I actually just did that last week, except I forgot about it completely until one of my boys told me the toilet was backed up, now it’s a job for the hubby (sorry dear). The whole thing hit home though, I’m a mom to four boys (9, 7, 4, & 2) so there are many days I let Satan in and have to apologize to my kids later (they are so forgiving of their very imperfect mommy!) they know I struggle, and they pray for me. Thank you for putting this out there, sometimes when you’re going through it you feel like you’re the only one, it’s nice to know that there’s someone else out there with dirty, shiny hair ;)

55. 169

says

As a mother to total of 10, we are a his and our family. 7 of them I gave birth to so I have lots to fill my day!. I have 6 at home now, it was 5 but one needed to come home and regroup, fine by us. Sometime life does that. Top off the kids, the fact that I home school and a few other things in life with some chronic health/pain issues some days dont go well for me. Today was one. I was thinking lots of very terrible make satan happy type thoughts when someone sent me this. It was timed perfectly I needed it. I wanted to say thank you for writing it. I am not the only one in the world needing it. Its far from bed time here but I was able to rethink and not feel quit so bad about my parenting abilities right now. God knew what I would be dealing with when he decided that I would also be mom to all my awesome kids, so he must think it can be done somehow.

56. 172

Crissy says

Thank you! I needed this so badly. We have been going through such struggles with our six-year-old that I no longer feel joy or very loving toward her. It’s not fair to her.

57. 173

says

Thank you. So very much. I actually hadn’t heard of your blog before a friend shared this post on Facebook, and am so glad I found it! I’ve been struggling with doubt and worry, lately, in the area of motherhood and I really…reallyreallyreally…needed this reminder. Thanks! <3

58. 174

Darcy Hernandez says

I hate when Satan visits! Hate it! It’s almost like my head whips to the side and evil overcomes me. It comes so quickly that I can’t control it! A few weeks ago I made my 15 year olds son cry, yes 15 years old. So sad! Luckily, God is right there every time and pulls me out of that craziness.

59. 175

Gail Parmentier says

Ahhhh, yes, TRUE Motherhood & I’m sure how many of us feel. Thank you for sharing & expressing it so well. May our Father God richly bless your family today.

60. 176

Stacy says

Thank you thank you thank you !! I am working on this and it is sad how hard it is or seems to be! My whole life is my children… But I sure don’t act that way most days. Thank you…. For I have more courage to start tomorrow even stronger! God bless you!!

61. 177

Amanda says

Thank you so much for this post. I currently do not have any children but wants them, so from time to time look at things that might help me in the future when I do have them. One of my friends posted this article so I thought I would check it out. This was so something I needed to hear just in my current life, where sometimes things do not make sense and well I just simply become unhappy with the place and person God has called me to be. So again thank you for the reminder to not let the thief into my life.

62. 178

Muslimah says

Great article! True for even those of us who are not Christian (I’m Muslim)…this post is very relevant to me! Thanks for taking the time to write this & letting us all know we are enough the way we are. I like the bible verse you posted at the end…reminds me of this verse in the Quran:

“Satan threatens you with poverty and orders you to immorality, while Allah promises you forgiveness from Him and bounty. And Allah is all-Encompassing and Knowing.” Surah Baqarah, verse 268

63. 179

Erin says

I love this. Perfect timing as my house I a complete disaster, I am halfway through painting the entryway, tax paperwork to organize and the list goes on…I decided to just hold my little one (4 months old) while he sleeps (the 19 month old is napping too). He won’t sleep on my chest forever. Enjoying it while I can. Everything else can wait.

64. 181

Kelly says

I cannot possibly express my thanks for this piece!.
    He really is enough and provides you with exactly what you need, exactly when you need to read it. Many blessings to you and your family!

65. 182

Lynn Johnson says

Are atheist parents who don’t yell at their kids doing it wrong? Or are they letting Satan in because they aren’t teaching their kids religion?

66. 184

Michael says

Great stuff! I’m sending my wife this link. She works so hard and is a tremendous mommy, wife and overall person. Sometimes she gets in these places you described. Thanks for your wisdom and receptiveness to the plan God has for all the awesome moms out there.

67. 185

says

Thank you for sharing. It makes me smile to see other moms who feel just like me. At the end of the day it’s good to just grab the kids and cuddle and not worry so much about all the rest of the things on our to do list. We should never compare ourselves with others, they may see perfect on the outside, but we have no idea what they are truly going through. If we did then we probably would be very content on our own little mess in the world.

68. 187

says

Wow. Thank you. I needed every bit of this. I have a seven year old and a new born and let me say, I’m being tested and pushed. Thank you.

69. 188

Jen says

I can not tell you how much I love this article. I’ve been thinking about this very thing SO much lately. And you seriously wrote out all of the feelings in my heart so perfectly. So I wanted to thank you. Light is always stronger than darkness and I think as humans we tend to forget that we are the captain of our souls. Satan has NO power over us unless we give him power. I am so happy I found your blog. I feel like we are soul sisters living these strangely similar lives but are complete strangers. Seriously we think exactly alike. Nice to know I’m not the only one! Anyway thanks again. And keep spreading light! Heaven knows we all need it.

70. 189

Mary says

That is very true. But what do you say to a single mother w/ a 3yr. that has to work 8hrs a day 5 days a week just to support her and her daughter. And is also a Surrogate, she is having this baby for our friends. She found out that our friend can not have a baby because of the tumor in her head, so my daughter wanted to do this out of the goodness of her heart. So when she gets home all she wants to do is sit down and rest.

71. 190

Kim says

Thank you for this. I sure wish I would have dinner more of this when mine were small. They are almost 13&14 now. I can’t go back but I can make the most of the days ahead!

72. 195

Amanda says

This quote struck right to my heart. I am called to be a mom. Not just a mom, but a mom of 4 boys who stays home with them. And not just any boys, but my boys, gifts from God. This is my calling, and to feel inadequate is a direct assault from Satan himself because that which God has called me to do, he has also equipped me to do…or is equipping me to do.

I can get so wrapped up in the frustrations of motherhood…the dishes in the sink AGAIN, the loads of laundry calling my name AGAIN, the endless supply of toys on the floor AGAIN. I forget about the fun of motherhood…the games they want to play AGAIN, the capacity each one has for snuggling AGAIN, the joy I have when I see their behavior and character develop each day to look more and more like Christ. Now, I’m going to close my computer and go snuggle with my kids. ;)

73. 196

Dancing Mama says

Thank you! I really needed this article. I’m a newly single mama of three, who is trying to make a go of it without working outside the home. My kids’ dad tells me all the time what a thief and loser I am because I won’t go out and “get a real job,” so he can pay less child support (he already imputed me $900 extra of income per month from what I actually make, to make his number lower). I have a home based business, but I feel the importance to be primarily a mother. He never understood how important it was for me to be there for our kids. Thanks for telling me not to let Satan steal my motherhood. That is exactly what he’s been trying to do through this good man I once gave my heart to. I’ll try to stop paying attention, and keep trying to have more patience with my little ones when I feel like I’ve worn thin. I know Jesus can help there be more of my love and kindness to go around.

74. 199

Heather says

Thank you so much. I cannot tell you how much I needed to read this today. Your words are truly an answer to prayer. Thank you. :)

75. 200

Bethany says

What a great post!

This is the Screwtape Letters of Motherhood. I so needed to hear this. To read this. Satan has certainly stolen my motherhood this last few weeks.

Thank you for being real.

Blessings. :)

76. 201

says

Thank you for sharing this. I realize it’s now March, but God brings things right when we need them and today I found your post on a friend’s Facebook.
    *laughing* And as I was trying to read it my 4 year old was demanding that I look at her watercolor and I’d just snapped at her before reading your post.
    *whew* Convicting but not condemning. Thank you for helping shine the light on that creepy monster that crept in unnoticed. He does not need to be here and I’ve been leaving the door unlocked. No excuses. Those are from him. Just confrontation that says “leave”.

77. 204

Dawnelle says

Thank you so much for this! I sorely needed it this week. So tired and frustrated and feeling like a failure. I read this three times this week and cries each time because it is so true.

Today our Sunday school teacher read a quote from a talk about how God does parenting. He said no parent yells at a toddler for falling as he learns to walk. Or loving Father In Heaven does not criticize or get angry at us when we make a simple mistake because He understands that we will fall as we learn to toddle, then walk and eventually run in life. When we fall short, He picks us up dusts us off and encourages us to try again. Any contrary feelings are not of Him.

Thank God for grace!

78. 207

Angela says

Thank you SO MUCH for posting this. I was literally unable to sleep this morning because Satan was reminding me of all my failures and mistakes, and that I would never have it all together, how I didn’t get a menu plan put together again, my house is not as clean as everyone else, don’t have fancy scrapbooks made of all my photos like all my friends do…etc. I so needed to hear this. Thank you for the encouraging words, I will try harder to only listen to my Fathers voice, and to turn a deaf ear on Satan’s lies.

79. 208

Michelle G says

Thank you so much for this post! It has touched and blessed my heart today more than you’ll ever know! God bless you and your sweet family always!

80. 209

Bobbi Roper says

I have never left a comment on any blog or article I have read….ever. So this is a first for me. After reading this, when I could finally see thru the tears, I felt compelled to tell you how much this touched me. It was a feeling so strong, almost as if I had no other choice. I deeply believe in my “gut” feelings. They very rarely steer me wrong. So you see, even though I don’t know you or you me, I need you to know that God led me to your blog tonight. I was sitting outside, full of anger and frustration at something my oldest of four children had done…(again!) doing anything to not go back in where I knew the argument would continue. I pulled out my phone looking for a distraction, any distraction. While scrolling thru my news feed on FB I saw this blog post that someone had shared with “this is too good not to share” above it. I thought why not. As I start reading I have to stop and stick my head in the door to yell at my kids to stop, I can’t even recall now what they were doing. I sit back down and again begin reading. Yet again I have to stop and reprimand my younger children, 7 year old girl and 3 year old boy. One more time I begin reading, only this time I block everything out as I begin to comprehend what this post is really about. When I read the line about your daughter not knowing it was a rough day and how she prayed for you, I had to stop for a moment because I couldn’t see thru my tears. Sadness and a little guilt filling my heart where just moments before there was only anger and frustration. And finally some peace and determination. And for that I give you my sincere thanks. You see, I am one of those people that believes EVERYTHING happens for a reason, both the good and the bad. I believe that everything that happens is meant to teach you something or lead you where you are meant to be. And tonight I believe that God used you to speak to me. To tell me some things that I believe He has been trying to tell me for some time. Tonight I finally heard Him. So I thank you…for writing this blog, for sharing your own experience, and most of all for being God’s messenger. I want, no I need you to know that despite us being complete strangers, I appreciate you. So once again, from myself, my family and all the over stressed, over worked and what sometimes feels like under appreciated mothers, Thank You! I hope you continue to be a messenger of God for those who need one. As for me, I found your story in the right place at just the right time. And I don’t believe in coincidences. God Bless You!

81. 212

Marisa says

Loved this read!!! Thanks for your honesty and sharing your heart. This came at such a good time as I was getting caught under it all. Then I realize really none of it matters only the four little blessings I have been given matter!

82. 213

says

Thank You, Thank you for posting this when I needed to see this! Thank you to whomever posted this on FaceBook!! God Bless you all!! I read this sobbing, this was like it was written for me! Again Thank YOU!

83. 214

Veronica says

Thank you, thank you, thank you! It is 1:02am and I was having a hard time getting to sleep. I decided to see what my friends were up to on Facebook. Within 30 seconds, I saw your letter posted on a friend’s page. I wept as I read it. I feel as if you wrote this letter to me! Last night I was feeling incompetent as a mother for many of the same reasons you mentioned above. Those thoughts played like a broken record in my mind. I shared my fears and insecurities with my husband. He patiently listened as I cried and babbled on. He hugged me, prayed with me then lovingly told me I was wrong about being a terrible mother. He reminded me that we have a healthy, joyful, creative, imaginative daughter who is loved, well cared for, and full of life. These are the things that are important! Anyone can teach her the alphabet and numbers, but a mother’s love, encouragement, attention and time can only be given by her mother!

84. 216

Tracey Enfinger says

Wow! This article hit me like a punch in the gut. I look back now and remember the times that the Devil stole my Motherhood. My twins are 17 now and my stepson 21, but I still have those times. Working full-time, school full-time, husband, kids, and home. It is a lot to carry, but I have got to learn to turn to God, I know He can help carry my load. I forget so many times how truly blessed I am as a wife, mother, friend, but most importantly, a child of God. I have forgotten to many times to turn to Him when I need help, instead of depending on myself. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for writing this wonderful story, and making it hit me right where I need it. God Bless!

85. 217

Alice Palmore says

That is why I always take time for kids because they are only little once and their childhood memories are the ones that always pop back up in there heads in their whole life.
    All the things they got to do, tents out of a blanket, bowling out of milk jugs, make ornaments out of flour dough, walk thru the woods and collect leaves and press them in wax paper and keep in a notebook and name them, could just go on and on.
    Please young people take time that will never go away with the child make memories the clothes, dishes, and so many other things will be there when that child is grown.
    Always take time to read a bedtime story to that child should be daddy time to do that but if not mommy should.
    Signed a Grandma,,who did it for her kids and Grands would not trade it for all the gold or money in the world because this is PRICELESS!!!!!

86. 218

Ndjinn says

There is nowhere in the bible that says satan is omniscient. Where did this concept come from that satan can view your actions? He is a fallen angel, the king of them yes, but still he has no access to this world. Reread your bible. This satan you speak of is the satan of fear and guilt and of the dark ages.

87. 219

Katie says

Thank you, thank you for writing this! I became a full time mom to my husband’s nine year old 2 years ago. We struggle almost daily with a lot of hurt and angry feelings she has towards her biological mother. There are so many days I think that I am not doing this right and I end up crying but this reminded me that I love her unconditionally and can’t even imagine her not living with us! Yesterday she had done something that upset both me and my husband a lot and reading this letter today was providential.

88. 220

says

Ooooh thank you! While today happened to be a fairly good day, I have been having more than my desired share of Mommy Guilt. SO many ways I should have/could have been a better Mommy but the distractions keep calling like a mind numbing Siren’s song, luring me into a false sense of entitlement when in reality it is nothing more than a distraction from my true vocation as Mother to the lives placed under my charge. Wonderful post!
    Cassandra recently posted…Small Success Thursday Episode #2My Profile

Trackbacks

1. […] When Satan Steals Your Motherhood – “Satan wants you to fail. And to feel alone. And to feel inadequate to what Someone Else has CALLED you to do.” Guess what? Satan is already defeated. Yet still I let him “win”. I’ve read this multiple times. Still absorbing. Humbled. Praying God makes me like the gentle mother, nurturing her children (1 Thessalonians 2:7). […]